Monday, May 11, 2015

The Ocean is Bluer and Brighter





The ocean today is bluer and brighter than ever before, is that possible?


Just before Mother’s Day 18 years ago, my best friend was in an accident in which she didn’t survive . I had just come home from a walk. My husband delivered the news to me. Time stood still.  My friend had young sons, a 3 year old and an infant. My kids were maybe 2 and 6. Although it was shocking and devastating news,  I honestly believe that losing my friend, brought me further on the path of understanding, love and yes, even joy.  I’d like to share a poem that captures that feeling by Sister Dang Nghiem:



The sky is deeper blue today, because I have awareness.
The trees are more alive today, as I breathe in their greenness.
The birds are soaring higher, with my eyes following their path.
The children’s laughter is brighter, as my own lips are blooming.
And you, you are closer to me than ever, because I know myself more.


18 years ago I lost great friend who would light up a room with her smile and laugh, she personified inclusion and warmth.  Sometimes tragedy, inconceivable tragedy, if you allow your heart to open, can give rise to a great teaching, an opening, and for me it was this moment. This poem reminded me of the time when I felt like nothing was making sense and would never be the same. And then something shifted.

 I looked out over the ocean a few days later and it really was bluer, and since that day I began to see things and appreciate the extraordinary in ordinary, everyday experiences.  I guess I kind of made an inner vow that day, that my life would never be the same because I was going to appreciate more and bring more awareness to every day. My practice of kindness, love, and understanding became deeper. I don’t think I would be here today had I not woken up to the beauty of an ordinary day.





Everything is brighter and deeper because of Patty and she is infused in all that surrounds me.  There’s no separation. I am grateful.











written April 19, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment